Education in Atlanta is a teacher-led news organization committed to covering one of Atlanta’s most underreported stories: the effort to improve schools for all children within the metro Atlanta area, especially those who have been disenfranchised to quality education due to race, socioeconomic, or disability.
Recent Education News in Metro Atlanta
The Metro Atlanta area consists of over seventeen counties, learn what’s happening in each one.
- Gwinnett County Schools Board Meeting Ends in Disruption
- Douglass High School principal accused of sexual misconduct￼
- After Special Called Meeting, Cobb County Schools Accreditation Woes Continue
- Georgia Board of Regents changes tenure guidelines
- Atlanta Public Schools to Host Student-Led Mayoral Forum on Educational Issues
- Howard to Challenge Woods for State School Superitendent Role in 2022
- Metro Area Districts Receive $886,534 in Grant Funds
- Atlanta Public Schools Partners with Rock the Vote for National Voter Registration Day Pep Rally
- No Change in Cognia Status for Gwinnett County Schools Cognia Special Review
County to county, district to district, here’s what everyone is reading.
- Cobb County School Board Vice Chairman David Banks Disseminates Misinformation About COVID-19
- Clayton County Public Schools set to reopen Virtual Learning Program for 2021-2022 school year.
- Cobb County Board of Education Approves 4-8.6% raise for Staff
- Cherokee County Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer Resigns Before Starting
- Jennifer Susko, Cobb County Schools Counselor, and Black Lives Matter Activist resigns
- Georgia Department of Education Releases Reward Schools
See more articles→
COVID-19 Back to School
As thousands of students of Georgia come back to school after the COVID-19 pandemic, learn how metro Atlanta districts are balancing students along with controlling COVID-19.
- Rockdale County Public Schools asks Parents to take Voluntary, Anonymous COVID-19 Vaccination Survey
- Douglas County School District to continue offering free COVID-19 shots
- GNR Health departments to offer free vaccine clinic to Rockdale County students
- Opinion: The Learning Loss Noone in Georgia Is Discussing
See more about COVID in the metro area →
Atlanta Public Schools
Atlanta Public Schools focuses on a caring culture of equity, trust, and collaboration, every student will graduate ready for college, career, and life. Read about what’s happening in that district.
Cobb County Schools
Cobb County Schools is a school district of excellence where all students succeed. Read about what’s happening in that district.
Dekalb County Schools
Dekalb County Schools in Georgia’s 3rd largest school district while using deep teaching and learning to produce globally competitive students prepared for higher education, careers, and life.
Gwinnett County Schools
Gwinnett County Schools is recognized as a top district committed to becoming a system of world-class schools.
- Georgia Association of Educators files lawsuit against Gwinnett County Schools for First Amendment violation
- Fulton County Schools’ Chief Operations Officer Leaves for Job With Gwinnett County Schools
- The Gwinnett County School Board meeting goes on without a hitch, but Critical Race Theory overshadows most public discussion.
- Gwinnett County Public Schools appoints three principals